Among the new features VMware Workstation 7:
* Improvements to support 3D. OpenGL 2.1 and Shader Model 3.0 are supported in virtual machines, Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7. (Indirectly, this should mean support for Aero in Windows Vista - ca. From the author's news).
Support for new model drivers Windows Display Driver Model for Windows
7 - There is only 2D acceleration and support only one monitor, the
driver uses 32MB RAM. If you want to run 3d applications in Windows 7, you must configure it to use the old SVGAII driver from VMWare.
* Support vSphere 4.0 and ESX support. Professionals can now run these technologies as guest operating systems to check how they are suited to your organization. ESX
is currently supported only on processors that support hardware
acceleration for virtualization (all Intel Core 2 and above, AMD Athlon
64 X2 AM2/Phenom and above).
* Support for multiprocessing expanded to four-SMP systems, which allows you to use all the capabilities of your equipment. VMWare allows you to allocate for the guest system with four virtual single-core processors with two dual-core and one quad.
Virtual print allows you even without installing the printer to print
on all printers on the host OS - the printers are added to the guest OS
automatically and does not require a network.
* Download VMWare tools on the Internet on demand. VMWare added the ability to download via the Internet the latest version of VMWare Tools including for the new OS, which will improve support for new systems without waiting for the release of new version of VMWare WorkStation.
AutoProtect - snapshot'ov possibility of creating a new virtual machine
on a schedule for the possibility of rapid recovery of the guest OS.
* Encrypting virtual machine - VMWare now supports encryption (AES 128-bit) and password protection of virtual machines. Running these machines works in VMWare Player.
* Support for IPv6 was added to the connection type bridge (direct connection to the virtual machine's physical network).
* Support for ALSA. Finally
VMWare has support audio output to ALSA, which will simultaneously
output sound from the host OS and a guest without blocking the sound
* Pause - an opportunity that was in VirtualBox from the outset, appeared in VMWare. Now you can temporarily stop the implementation of guest OS and free up resources for the system.
* Improvements in technology Drag and Drop. Support drag and drop images, formatted e-mail attachments and zip folders is now supported in Windows, and in Linux.
* Improved support for debugging the guest OS mode replay ( "play"). Read the documentation.
* Expanding virtual disks. It
is now possible to expand virtual disks and Windows Vista and Windows 7
can take advantage of this opportunity without having to run additional
software (Linux LVM should also support this feature - approx. Author
* Linux operating systems can now mount the virtual disk images via Fuse.
* Improved control interface virtual networks.
A centralized collection of information for customer service - you can
easily push a button to collect detailed information about the guest
and the host system, compress it and send it in to tech support or
attach to the forums VMWare.